Monica Chang-Panesso, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Nephrology
- Phone: 314-362-9096
Division of Nephrology
660 S. Euclid Ave., CB 8126
St. Louis, MO 63110
- MD: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- Nephrology Fellowship: Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Massachusetts
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Research interests include the molecular mechanisms that impair the regenerative response after acute kidney injury, particularly in aging.
- 2014 – Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32). NIDDK
- 2013 – Nathan Hellman, MD, PhD Memorial Award. Nephrology Fellowship Program. Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2012 – House staff Officer of Excellence – Monthly Peer selection. Internal Medicine Residency Program
- 2009 – Jacqulyn Hall-Werner Award – Internal Medicine Outstanding Humanities Project
- Chang-Panesso M. Tubular MST1/2 Deletion and Renal Fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020 May; 31(5):893-894. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2020030305. Epub 2020 Apr 6.
- Chang-Panesso M, Kadyrov FF, Lalli M, Wu H, Ikeda S, Kefaloyianni E, Abdelmageed MM, Herrlich A, Kobayashi A, Humphreys BD. FOXM1 drives proximal tubule proliferation during repair from acute ischemic kidney injury. J Clin Invest. 2019 Dec 2;129(12):5501-5517. doi: 10.1172/JCI125519.
- Wu H, Lai CF, Chang-Panesso M, Humphreys BD. Proximal Tubule Translational Profiling during Kidney Fibrosis Reveals Proinflammatory and Long Noncoding RNA Expression Patterns with Sexual Dimorphism. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020 Jan;31(1):23-38. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2019040337. Epub 2019 Sep 19.
- Kirita Y, Chang-Panesso M, Humphreys BD. Recent Insights into Kidney Injury and Repair from Transcriptomic Analyses. Nephron. 2019;143(3):162-165. doi: 10.1159/000500638. Epub 2019 May 21.
- Ó hAinmhire E, Wu H, Muto Y, Donnelly E, Machado FG, Fan L, Chang-Panesso M, Humphreys BD. A conditionally immortalized Gli1-positive kidney mesenchymal cell line models myofibroblast transition. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2019 Jan 1;316(1):F63-F75.
- Chang-Panesso M, Kadyrov FF, Lalli M, Wu H, Ikeda S, Kobayashi A, Humphreys BD. FoxM1 drives proximal tubule proliferation during repair from acute kidney injury. BioRxiv 436576, 2018.
- Chang-Panesso M, Kadyrov FF, Machado FG, Kumar A, Humphreys BD. Meis1 is specifically upregulated in kidney myofibroblasts during aging and injury but is not required for kidney homeostasis or fibrotic response. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2018 Aug 1;315(2):F275-F290.
- Chang-Panesso M, Humphreys BD. Cellular plasticity in kidney injury and repair. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2017 Jan;13(1):39-46.
- Kramann R, Wongboonsin J, Chang-Panesso M, Machado FG, Humphreys BD. Gli1+ Pericyte Loss Induces Capillary Rarefaction and Proximal Tubular Injury. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Mar;28(3):776-784.
- Kramann R, Goettsch C, Wongboonsin J, Iwata H, Schneider RK, Kuppe C, Kaesler N, Chang-Panesso M, Machado FG, Gratwohl S, Madhurima K, Hutcheson JD, Jain S, Aikawa E, Humphreys BD. Adventitial MSC- like Cells Are Progenitors of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells and Drive Vascular Calcification in Chronic Kidney Disease. Cell Stem Cell. 2016 Nov 3; 19(5):628-642.
- Chang-Panesso, M,Humphreys BD. (2015). CD248/Endosialin: A Novel Pericyte Target in Renal Fibrosis. Nephron. 2015;131(4):262-4.
- Chang-Panesso M, Humphreys BD. (2014). The seen and the unseen: clinical guidelines and cost-effective care. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Nov;25(11):2390-2.
- Panesso MC, Shi M, Cho HJ, Paek J, Ye J, Moe OW, and Hu MC. Klotho has dual protective effects on cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2014 Apr;85(4):855-70