WashU Nephrology congratulates Steven Cheng, MD, who has accepted the position of Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Washington University School of Medicine/Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
After receiving his medical degree and completing an internal medicine residency at Northwestern University in Chicago, Dr. Cheng entered the Nephrology Fellowship at WashU, and upon graduation in 2006 joined our nephrology faculty. Since that time, Cheng has excelled in his passion for medical education. He has been recognized as a respected educator and has won multiple distinguished teaching awards (see below). While Cheng will continue his clinical service and teaching in our division, his new position will allow him to broaden his impact in the field of medical education.
Cheng also has been a vital part of our fellowship leadership. He has served as the Program Director of the Nephrology Fellowship Program since 2011. During that time, he has helped the program grow and evolve into a system that supports its trainees with world-class education, cutting-edge resources, and a supportive faculty. Among many other developments, the fellowship program now includes: approval for 12 fellowship positions in general nephrology and two advanced fellowship positions in transplant nephrology; the addition of procedure and night float teams and expansion of consult services; and the development of a point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) curriculum.
For more details about Dr. Cheng’s many accomplishments, please see the official Department of Medicine’s announcement by Chair Victoria Fraser, MD, and the WashU Nephrology News articles below. He is also featured in our Spring Nephrology Update newsletter.
Read more about Dr. Steven Cheng:
- WashU Nephrologist Steven Cheng Receives ASN Distinguished Educator Midcareer Award
- Medical Students Honor Drs. Steven Cheng and Timothy Yau with Distinguished Service Teaching Awards
- WashU Nephrologists Patricia Kao, Timothy Yau, Steven Cheng, Tingting Li and Seth Goldberg Receive Academy of Educators Inaugural Honor Roll Awards
- Nephrologists Timothy Yau and Steven Cheng Receive Teaching Awards
- Steven Cheng and Timothy Yau Appointed to Team That Will Design New Medical School Curriculum
- Drs. Yau, Cheng, Goldberg, Kao and Ross to be Honored at Distinguished Service Teaching Award Ceremony