After a brief disruption due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the in-person St. Louis Kidney Walk is back! The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) sponsors the nation’s largest walking event that raises money and promote awareness of kidney disease and the need for organ donation.
Lauren Begnel, RD, LD, a dietitian and nutritionist at Chromalloy American Kidney Dialysis Center at Washington University, is the organizer and captain of our new team: the WashU Walkers #NephStrong.
“Kidney Disease has always been a passion of mine, and it feels so great to give back to the community that has given so much to me,” says Begnel. “I went to my first Kidney Walk when I was an intern in college, and I loved it. The energy at these walks is so fun and heartwarming. I love doing the STL Kidney Walk to support my patients and staff at WashU Dialysis and to support the efforts of the NKF.“
Begnel created a team page to fundraise on the NKF STL Kidney Walk page, and after only a few days the team is already #2 in fundraising for the “Top Teams” category. “GREAT JOB, TEAM!” she says. “Keep up the fundraising! I think we can get to #1!” The WashU Walkers #NephStrong fundraising goal is $2000.
The NKF provides support and education to patients. More than 80 cents of every dollar donated goes to research, patient services, professional education, public health education, and community services.
Check out our past Kidney Walks below:
- Support WashU Nephrology/Transplant “Cool Beans” Team at 2020 NKF Kidney Walk
- Time to show WU Nephrology Pride and Wash Ur Kidneys! The 2019 NKF Kidney Walk is Almost Here
- Annual National Kidney Foundation Walk a Success
- Wash Ur Kidneys! Walk, Volunteer or Donate to 2018 NKF St. Louis Kidney Walk
- Dialysis Patient’s Kidney Walk Entourage: Five Years and Growing
- “Celebrate Life and Each Other” – Join the 2017 St. Louis NKF Kidney Walk
- Raise Awareness of Kidney Health: Celebrate World Kidney Day and Walk with the Cool Beaners!