WashU Nephrology is proud to congratulate Anitha Vijayan, MD, Professor of Medicine, who is part of a select group of faculty members receiving the inaugural 2023 Dean’s Impact Awards, which recognize their exceptional character, resourcefulness, and creativity that helped guide the University through the COVID-19 pandemic.
The awards will be presented to 48 individuals from various disciplines across the School of Medicine. A recognition dinner will be held on May 17, 2023, in the Trolley Room of the Forest Park Visitor Center, and all awardees will be honored at a special event with Dr. Anthony Fauci, former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on May 16, in EPNEC. (Dr. Fauci also will be the keynote speaker at WashU School of Medicine’s 2023 graduation ceremony on May 15.)
Dr. Vijayan is recognized for her exceptional initiative and dedication to the well-being of our patients and the WashU community during the pandemic. From the beginning, she reorganized our inpatient nephrology consult service to ensure that fellows, faculty with young children, and older faculty were not exposed to COVID-19-infected patients, and she volunteered to be the first attending on the faculty-only service. She also took the lead in coordinating nephrology/acute dialysis needs across all BJC medical centers, worked with hospital supply-chain leadership to manage inventory for thousands of dialysis needs, and was instrumental in advocating to bring COVID-19 vaccines to Washington University outpatient dialysis units for our vulnerable dialysis population, which is predominantly African American. And this is only a short list of Dr. Vijayan’s contributions! (Read about her effort to bring the COVID-19 vaccine to our patients here.)
Please see the Dean’s Impact Awards program for details about the extraordinary work of Dr. Vijayan and other awardees as they rose to the challenges presented by the pandemic.
Dr. Vijayan is highlighted in our Spring 2023 Nephrology Update newsletter and in the Nephrology News articles below:
- COVID-19 Vaccination of WashU Dialysis Patients a Huge Success!
- Prolonged Intermittent Kidney Replacement Therapy Reviewed by Drs. Zoey Levine and Anitha Vijayan in CJASN Special Series
- Anitha Vijayan and Aubrey Morrison Honored at BJH Medical Staff Association Ceremony
- Anitha Vijayan Presents Lecture at UAB on Benefits of Nocturnal PIRRT
- WashU Nephrologists Tingting Li and Anitha Vijayan to Serve on ASN Committees
- Dr. Anitha Vijayan on ASN AKI!Now Steering Committee to Help Prevent and Treat Acute Kidney Injury
- Dr. Anitha Vijayan Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society